When dealing with such people, this post on how to report someone on Discord will be useful in preventing further nasty actions from them.
Discord is a welcoming community for all kinds of people to hang out with. At times, there could be troublesome users who want to disrupt the balance of the community.
How to Report Someone on Discord?
Before getting into the howto, spamming chats, threatening or harassing another user, and sharing inappropriate content are some activities that warrant disciplinary action. You can report to Discord anyone who breaks the rule for necessary action.
Reporting someone requires a link to the inappropriate content and a few ID codes. To get this information, you have to turn on developer mode. To activate developer mode, follow the steps below.
- At the bottom-left screen, click the gear icon to the right of your name. This step will get you into “settings.”
- Click the “Appearance” tab in the left sidebar. Under “Advanced,” toggle on the button next to “Developer Mode.”
After that, go back to the user in question and do the following.
- Right-click their username and then click on “Copy ID” from the drop-down items. Write down this code or simply paste it to somewhere safe.
- Right-click or select the three dots to the right of the message you wish to report. Then choose “Copy Link” from the options displayed. Writing down this link can be arduous, so paste it somewhere safe.
- If the content you are reporting is on a server rather than the direct message, you’ll need the server’s ID. To get this ID, right-click on the server name and click “Copy ID” from the displayed options.
- Head over to this page and fill out all information required, including the Message Link, User ID, and Server ID (when needed).
The Discord’s own trust & Safety team will investigate and act on the report.
Related Article: How to Screen Share on Discord
Related Article: How to Turn Off Discord Overlay
Reporting a User on the Mobile Client:
On iOS and Android mobile devices, you can also report content violating the community guidelines. The process is the same with a slight difference which will be demystified as the instructions progress.
- You also need to enable developer mode first. On your Android or iOS device, open the Discord app, then tap the gear or profile icon next to your username.
- Navigate to “Appearance” > “Advance” if you’re on iOS or scroll down and tap “Behavior” if you’re using an Android device.
- Either on iOS or Android, toggle on the Developer Mode button. After making this change, the next is to get the message link and user ID.
- Tap on the user’s profile icon.
- In the upper-right screen, tap the three dots and select “Copy ID.” Paste the code to somewhere safe for later use.
- The last thing you need is the message link. To get this information, tap and hold the message, then select “Copy Message Link” if you are using iOS. If you’re on Android, press and hold the message, select “Share,” and then “Copy to Clipboard.”
- Go to the same link, shared earlier, and fill out all the required information. Then send the report to the Trust and Safety team for assessment.
There is another authority that can also handle inappropriate behavior or content, particularly when someone violates server rules rather than community guidelines. To take care of illegal posts or behavior, below are two ways.
Report Someone to Server’s Administrator:
If you found inappropriate content on a Discord server, first reach out to someone in charge of the server. This could be“Moderator”, “Admin”, or the owner of the server, identifiable by a crown icon next to their name.
In your message, tell them where the illegal content is or simply add a screenshot. They should warn or ban the annoying person. If they, however, do not act, take the matter to the Trust & Safety team.
Related Article: How to Delete Discord Account
Related Article: How to Install Better Discord
Block the User:
If a particular user is sending unsolicited messages or being spammy, try blocking the person. A user you block won’t be able to see your status, reply, or contact you on Discord.
The bottom line is: reporting someone is useful for keeping safe a server, including yourself. If someone, however, is a general annoyance, then blocking the person wouldn’t be a bad idea.
If this post has helped you, kindly use one of the share buttons to notify friends who might also need this information. For feedback or questions, don’t hesitate to use the comments below.